Dry Mouth

05/23/2011

Question:

I had Smart Lens implants in both eyes Dec 13 & 20, 2010. Since then I have had severe dry eye, dry mouth & severe dry itchy throat daily. (I have been on Restasis for the dry eye for the past 6 weeks. with 10% improvement.) My dry eye gets worse throughout the day.

Are the 3 above irritations all related?

Answer:

I do not think the symptoms are related. Dry eyes are a common complication of both cataract and refractive surgery, but not dry mouth or dry throat. Plus, since Restasis has not made a significant improvement, we must look beyond just the eyes.

You did not tell me your age or sex. But there is a systemic disease - Sjogren's syndrome - which is common in post-menopausal women and presents as dryness in the eyes, throat and mouth. It is usually first suspected by your family physician, and then confirmed by a Rheumatologist.

I suggest you discuss these new symptoms with your family physician at your next visit.

Robert D Newcomb, OD, MPH, FAAO Robert D Newcomb, OD, MPH, FAAO
Professor Emeritus of Clinical Optometry