Crowns, Bridges, Dentures, Implants

Is it Necessary to get a Crown?

06/03/2011

Question:

I had a root canal on the bottom last molar. The tooth was severely comprimised after the procedure (a bit of a long story and several visits to a 2nd dentist and endodontist later). I am about to have the temporary filling removed and a permanant filling placed in. I am not sure if I want to spend the money on a crown though. I will speak with my dentist about their opinion, but is it really necessary to do this considering the condition and location of the tooth. If the tooth does crack down the road, I would not be upset with having it extracted and a implant placed instead....

Answer:

Crowns are recommended after teeth have had endodontic procedures because losing vitality increases the risk of fracture. Certainly, extraction and implants are an option if the tooth fractures. The benefit to risk of crowning needs to be decided on an individual basis.

Go to the Crowns, Bridges, Dentures, Implants health topic, where you can:

Nancy L Clelland, DMD, MSD Nancy L Clelland, DMD, MSD
Professor of Restorative & Prosthetic Dentistry