Slimy Coating Inside Lower Lip and Mouth

06/13/2011

Question:

What causes this symptom and how can I reduce or stop it? I have had this for a year. I`ve seen 3 different dentists, an oral surgeon, and 2 dental hygienists who have cleaned my teeth. No one has given me any helpful information. I have changed toothpastes numerous times, used baking soda and water, and salt water. It is a chronic condition.I am in good health and do not take any medications.Can anyone help???

Answer:

Based on what you are telling me, this may be a condition known as burning mouth syndrome (BMS). Even though it's called BMS, it really should be called "oral sensory neuropathy," which means that the nerves that transmit information to the brain about the sensations in the mouth just are not working right. Nerves that carry information about pain, taste and/or texture can be affected, and it seems to occur more frequently in peri- and post-menopausal women.

The slimy coating feeling that you are experiencing is likely the texture component of this harmless, but annoying, problem.  Although it has no proven treatment, many patients get better spontaneously.  You may find information at the links below helpful.

Best wishes.

Burning Mouth Syndrome
Burning Mouth Syndrome (AAOMP)

Our Answer Policy

John R Kalmar, DMD, PhD John R Kalmar, DMD, PhD
Clinical Professor of Pathology
Associate Dean of Dentistry Administration