Double Vision after Vistrectomy Surgery

06/21/2011

Question:

I have had RK and then lasik in both eyes. Cataract surgery with implants followed. My vision was 20/20 prior to the vistrectomy surgery. My present vision is 20/20 in one eye but far less in the eye which required repair of the detached retina which compromised the macula. At present I have significant double vision. With all the eye surgeries, what options to I have for correcting the double vision?

Thank you for considering this inquiry.

Answer:

Wow, I hope you do not expect me to prescribe a treatment for your double vision without examining you!

But there are some options for you to discuss with your eye doctor:

1) If your double vision is temporary, just patch the weaker eye. You do not need to wear a pirate patch; simply apply scotch tape on the back of the lens in front of the weaker eye.

2) If your double vision is permanent and you have fairly good vision in the weaker eye, consider monovision. That is when your better eye is corrected for distance viewing and your weaker eye is corrected for near viewing. This can be done with contact lenses or glasses.

3) If your double vision is permanent and you have fairly poor vision in the weaker eye, consider a "balance"  lens in front of the weaker eye. This is an eyeglass prescription that looks nice but is made incorrectly on purpose to help you ignore the annoying doubled but blurred image.

4) If you need a bifocal prescription, consider having two pair of glasses made: one for distance only and a separate one for near only.

5) Regardles of what optical device you and your eye doctor ultimately select, be sure it is made from the safest lens material (i.e., polycarbonate, trivex) to protect your one good eye from hazardous flying materials.

Robert D Newcomb, OD, MPH, FAAO Robert D Newcomb, OD, MPH, FAAO
Professor Emeritus of Clinical Optometry