Athletic Training

Alcohol Abuse

06/22/2011

Question:

Hello, am a young athlete and i literally drank too much after my competition to the limit that i was drunk and started to throw up. I really regret drinking and i wounder if u can give some tips to regain my fitness abilities faster please.

Thank you.

Answer:

Alcohol use can have a negative impact on athletic performance regardless of your age. Alcohol use after workouts can cancel out physiologic gains and deplete your energy. Alcohol has a diuretic effect which acts to dehydrate you and provides less fuel for activity. 

Alcohol may also disrupt your sleep cycles and may inhibit absorption of nutrients needed for activity which may put you at risk for injury.  The best prevention is to abstain from its use or to use in moderation if you are of legal age. 

Athletes require an increased amount of hydration as compared to sedentary individuals.  It is important to hydrate well for activity in the absence of alcohol and even more important following its use for rehydration.  I would suggest you seek out more information on hydration needs. I have included a link that may provide you some more information about hydration.

Good Luck!

http://sportsmedicine.about.com/cs/hydration/a/022504.htm

Go to the Athletic Training health topic, where you can:

Janine   Oman, MS, PT/ATC Janine Oman, MS, PT/ATC
Assistant Athletic Director
Instructor at the School of Health and Rehabilitation Sciences