Cut Gum

07/14/2011

Question:

The dentist removed some gum tissue and I can see that next to the tooth the gum area that is in between the teeth (the narrow part) got a horizontal cut straight across. It wasn`t there until he removed tissue and I am wondering if this separation in the tissue will close back together and heal? It looks like an accidental cut, but I am afraid it will stay separated and not grow back together. I am very upset by this not knowing if it will heal or stay apart.

Answer:

It is difficult to understand your question from the description you have given. If the question is "will this wound heal," the answer is yes if you do not disturb it. If the question is "will the contour of the gum tissue return to its original shape," the answer is probably not.

If you have any questions about the surgery and its outcome, you should call the dentist who did the surgery and let them see the tissue. They will then be able to answer your question and correct a problem if one exists.

D Stanley Sharples, DDS
Clinical Assistant Professor of Primary Care Dentistry