Extremely High Albumin Reading

08/25/2011

Question:

Hi,

I visited a walk-in clinic for a foot pain I`ve been having for the last week. The Dr. took my samples and sent it to the lab. 4 days later she called and showed concern over the following:

Fasting Clucose: 14.0 mmol/L HbA1C: 0.117 Alanine Transaminase (ALT): 82 U/L Albumin (R U): 351 mg/L Albumin Creatinine Ratio U: 15.9 mg/mmol

It`s hard to find an experienced doctor around here as most do not accept new patients. Does this mean Dialysis is required? Please advise as to what I should do. Thank You

Answer:

Albumin (R U): 351 mg/L Albumin Creatinine Ratio U: 15.9 mg/mmol The urine albumin to creatinine ratio is elevated. What you report as albumin (R U) is unclear to me (blood or urine test?). Does 'R U' stand for random urine? Without a medical history (do you have diabetes or hypertension, etc.) I cannot provide more insight. I would advise medical followup to review this with a doctor and to discuss your kidney function. 

Thomas   Zipp, MD Thomas Zipp, MD
Assistant Professor of Medicine