Bump on Inside Lower Lip!

09/07/2011

Question:

I had been messing around with a friend two days ago and was elbowed in the mouth and my teeth obviously hit the inside of my lip because it stung for awhile but wasn`t bleeding or anything. It kind of swelled up by that night so I had a fat lip a little bit, and during dinner I bit that exact spot. Hurt of awhile but eventually the pain went away and I went to bed and woke up yesterday morning with a small red bump in that area. It looked like a pimple, full of blood. It scared me so I tried to bite it off, but it didn`t work. I just couldn`t leave it alone so thought if I popped it, it would go away. When I did pop it, blood came out but the bump was still there. About 3 hours later I checked on it again and was wrong about popping it! It got bigger and was white, like a huge white pimple and from me trying to bite it off, I guess I caused bruising around it because the white "pimple" is the size of the bottom of an pencil eraser and the bruising surrounds it completely. The bruising has even made it`s way to the outside of my lip! I have been hit in the lip and have bit my lip before and this has never happened! I`m not saying that`s what caused this to happen, but it`s the only thing I can think of that may have. It doesn`t irritate me that much. It just so big that it feels like it`s in my way and that I have big lower lip. Its smooth and does not hurt when I eat. Do I need to go to a doctor???

Answer:

Thank you for visiting NetWellness. There are two harmless conditions that this could most likely be: a mucocele or a pyogenic granuloma. Neither one will typically get better on it's own, so it's probably a good idea to see an oral surgeon so the bump can be removed.

Carl M Allen, DDS, MSD Carl M Allen, DDS, MSD
Professor of Oral Pathology