Lungs, and What My Results Mean?

09/20/2011

Question:

I received some results but they were not explained to me and I have no idea what they mean. U was on a ship in the Navy in the 70`s that exposed me to asbestos. Here is some of what my results say: Bilatereal calcified pleural in keeping with asbestos exposure. Hiatal hernua. Non0 calcified nodule, right lower lung. Hepatic cyst, liver.

What does this mean?

Answer:

Pleural calcification can be due to many conditions including asbestos exposure, previous tuberculosis, previous surgery, and chest trauma. A consultation with a pulmonologist can often be helpful to determine the cause and significance of pleural calcification for any individual.

Hiatal hernias occur when part of the stomach protrudes up into the chest through the hole in the diaphragm where the esophagus goes through. Although many patients with hiatal hernias have no symptoms, other patients can have symptoms of esophageal reflux, such as heartburn.

Pulmonary nodules can be due to many conditions including scars from previous infection and early cancers. Consultation with a pulmonologist or other physician experienced in lund diseases can be helpful to determine if additional testing is required.

James N Allen, Jr, MD James N Allen, Jr, MD
Clinical Professor of Pulmonary, Allergy, Critical Care & Sleep Medicine