Athletic Training

Do Doctors Sleep During Foot Class?

10/13/2011

Question:

My cat hit my foot Apr 2 leaving me with 2 or 3 stress fractures in L foot. I was put in a boot after 8 days, told to ice, elevate, exercise and after 6 weeks, "just walk on it." In July saw a dr in another state, he put it in a cast for 3 weeks, "no no don`t walk on it". Then, a lace up brace and just walk on it...baby steps. It is now Oct and still swells, throbs, hurts from toes to mid-calf and the more I try to `walk on it` with help from a walker..the more it swells and the more it hurts. Will I ever get my foot back?

Answer:

I am sorry to hear of your ongoing troubles with your foot.  Since I am unsure which type of physician you have previously seen, I would recommend a visit to a orthopedic physician who specializes in foot and ankle care to further evaluate your problem. They can determine if you have any additional issues, and if there are other treatment options for your pain and limitation given the length of time you have been experiencing symptoms. Good Luck!

Go to the Athletic Training health topic, where you can:

Janine   Oman, MS, PT/ATC Janine Oman, MS, PT/ATC
Assistant Athletic Director
Instructor at the School of Health and Rehabilitation Sciences