Home HealthTopics Health Centers Reference Library Research
Join us on Facebook Join us on Facebook Share on Facebook

Spine and Back Health

Spinal Fluid Problem On MRI



What is it called, when you have a pocket, or pouch, of fluid on your spinal cord? I was only told that one showed up, on a cervical spine MRI that I had done a while ago. The doctor that I had at the time said that it was likely caused by some type of impact. Are these dangerous at all?


Hello, thank you for your question. Unfortunately, I can't answer it with the information you have provided. It is most likely that you are referring to either a syrinx (also called "syringomyelia"), or possibly an arachnoid cyst. These are very different problems with very different levels of danger. Without knowing exactly what you have, I can't advise you about what caused it or whether it could be dangerous. Also, if you haven't seen a specialist about this (either a neurologist or a spine specialist), you probably should. They could answer your questions more accurately. Good luck and good health.

For more information:

Go to the Spine and Back Health health topic, where you can:

Response by:

David J Hart, MD David J Hart, MD
Associate Professor of Neurosurgery
School of Medicine
Case Western Reserve University