Home HealthTopics Health Centers Reference Library Research
Join us on Facebook Join us on Facebook Share on Facebook

Vascular Surgery

What Causes Blanchable Erythema?



The bottoms of both feet (including my toes) turn blood red when I walk, and hurt. (When I rest the soles of my feet get less red.) The rheumatologist said it was called "blanchable erythema," because when he presed on the redness, it turned white. Please explain what causes this and if it is serious? What kind of specialist should I see, and what tests would he do?


Thank you for visiting NetWellness. I would check with a podiatrist or a vascular medicine specialist if the rheumatologist is unable to answer your questions.

For more information:

Go to the Vascular Surgery health topic, where you can:

Response by:

Jean  E Starr, MD Jean E Starr, MD
Clinical Associate Professor of Vascular Surgery
College of Medicine
The Ohio State University