Root Canals

Instrument Came Out from Side of the Tooth

12/08/2011

Question:

Yesterday I had root canal on #18 tooth. One canal had been done well, however the other one (front side) couldn`t be accessed. The instrument should go into the canal from the opening of top, instead, it went out from side of the tooth (X-ray shows the situation). The doctor said that #18 has defect, and calcified too, and he doesn`t think he can ever access the canal from top, maybe by surgery it could be done from the bottom. Please note #17 is missing for years and #18 is angled towards front. Can the tooth be saved?

Answer:

You have very specific questions that would need to be evaluated clinically. If you want to know what can be done to save your tooth, I would recommend an evaluation by an endodontist. They have special training beyond dental school and deal with these difficult situations on a daily basis.

Go to the Root Canals health topic, where you can:

Melissa McCartney Drum, DDS, MS Melissa McCartney Drum, DDS, MS
Assistant Professor of Endodontics