Newborn and Infant Care

Nursing and caffeine

02/16/1998

Question:

I am a nursing mother of a 5 and a half month old baby. I drink a few cups of coffee a day. Is this OK? I avoided caffeinated coffee during my pregnancy, since I read studies linking caffeine and low birth rate. What affect does drinking coffee have on a nursing baby?

Answer:

I will send your question to the Breasfeeding and Newborn care site

According to the La Leche League the amount of caffeine in five or fewer cups of coffee per day will usually not cause a problem with breastfeeding. However, it is important to remember that caffeine is found not only in coffee but also in teas, colas, many soft drinks, and other beverages along with many over the counter drugs.

Some babies are very sensitive to caffeine; signs that your baby may be stimulated by the caffeine include: wide-eyed appearance little sleeping and fussiness.

If you notice these in your baby you should cut the caffeine out of your diet. However, it will often times take several days to a week or so for the effects of the caffeine to be out of your baby's system.

Go to the Newborn and Infant Care health topic, where you can:

Tina   Weitkamp, RNC, MSN Tina Weitkamp, RNC, MSN
Associate Professor of Clinical Nursing