Digestive Disorders

Constant Hunger Pains?

04/05/1999

Question:

Is there any kind of a physical cause that could make a person have hunger pains almost all the time? They are so strong they wake me up out of a sound sleep, and it almost doesn`t seem to matter how much I eat any more. I eat a good breaskfast and plenty of lunch and its usually not a problem in the morning, but then I start getting them in the afternoon and for the rest of the day it seems like I just about have to keep eating non-stop just to keep the hunger pains from coming back, they really hurt! I even started keeping food by my bed to eat in the middle of the night or else they wake me up, and sometimes they do anyway even when I do eat in bed. I never used to have to eat this much, this is ridiculous. Plus I have gained 15 lbs, and I do NOT need to gain weight! I have tried just drinking water (only helps a little) or ignoring it or concentrating on something else, but these are not little mini hunger pains, they are Major hunger pains that really hurt! Like I said they even wake me up out of a sound sleep. My family is sure I`ve gone totally nuts, they all believe overeating is caused by emotional reasons so I must have emotional problems. But I don`t feel like I have emotional problems, or at least I didn`t before this started tho it may GIVE me emotional problems eventually! Honestly I can`t believe I`m making this all up or substituting food for love or something else that is emotionally missing in my life or whatever, at least it sure doesn`t feel that way to me, it feels very physical and it physically hurts! Is it possible that there might be a physical reason for this? I can`t believe I could really be that hungry all the time but I can`t believe its all in my head either. Help!

Answer:

There are few digestive disorders which are associated with constant hunger and weight gain. If you have persistent disgestive complaints or are concerned over your symptoms, I`d suggest that you see a digestive specialist to have the problem evaluated.

Go to the Digestive Disorders health topic, where you can:

Michael Patrick Jones, MD, FACP Michael Patrick Jones, MD, FACP
Director, Center for Digestive Motility Disorders