Home HealthTopics Health Centers Reference Library Research
Join us on Facebook Join us on Facebook Share on Facebook

Men's Health

Restoring a mans quality of life



3 years after radical prostatectomy PSA levels are zero but I am still incontinent and impotent. Is there any help out there (anywhere in the world) to help repair the damage done. I presume the neurovascular bundle has been damaged among other things. Is there someone who can perform some kind of surgery to repair the damage done? I am 48 years old.


There are obviously two issues - urinary incontinence and erectile dysfunction.  There are procedures that can be performed to help you regain urinary control such as placement of an artificial urinary sphincter.  I suggest you discuss this with your urologist or ask him/her to refer you to someone who has expertise in this area.

Similarly, there are devices and procedures that can be utilized in assisting in erectile dysfunction, and I suggest you discuss these with your urologist as well.  Penile prostheses are available as are other devices, and these options should be offered to you.  Other types of therapy such as penile injection can also be of assistance.


I hope these thoughts are helpful to you.



For more information:

Go to the Men's Health health topic, where you can:

Response by:

Martin I Resnick, MD Martin I Resnick, MD
Formerly, Professor of Urology
School of Medicine
Case Western Reserve University