Crowns, Bridges, Dentures, Implants

Sinus and dental implants

I have 2 long dental implants that actually go through the sinus cavities and attach to my cheek bone. For 2-1/2 years I have had one sinus infection after the other and 2 sinus surgeries. I would like to know what the dental community’s position is on such a practice and if the dental implants could be causing the sinus problems. In 2000 the implants went in and I had no problems for years. Thanks.

In general, there has not been an increase in sinus problems associated with dental implants. Chronic sinus problems are endemic in some parts of the country and occur regardless; most infections associated with dental implants near the sinus occur shortly after their placement, as a surgical complication.  

I don't have enough information to give you specific advice, but I can relate to you that it is rare for dental implants to be the cause of sinus infections so long after their surgical placement.

Go to the Crowns, Bridges, Dentures, Implants health topic, where you can:

Julie A Holloway, DDS, MS, FACP Julie A Holloway, DDS, MS, FACP
Associate Professor of Restorative and Prosthetic Dentistry