Addiction and Substance Abuse

Other Treatment Options for Alcoholism?

I am desperate to find a treatment center that is science based. I have attended 12-step programs and followed the programs to the "T". I cannot shake the cravings. I desperately need a treatment plan based on science and medicine. I admit I am an alcoholic and hate it. I know its destroying my family and myself and hate it but the 12-step program just isn’t the answer for me. I have blue shield blue cross PPO insurance and Medicare A. My wife works for United Airlines so I can fly anywhere in the world the right program. Can you please help refer me to a treatment program? I also suffer from depression and bipolar has been discussed as a condition but not actually diagnosed. I have spent days researching on the internet and I am not finding what I am looking for. Thank you very much!

Treatment programs vary widely in their emphasis on medical vs. psychosocial treatment. In most cases, combining medical treatment with psychosocial treatment (like counseling and 12-steps) gives an individual the best chance at managing alcoholism.

Many physicians and psychiatrists are committed to treating alcoholism in a balanced and integrated way. One group is known as ASAM (American Society of Addiction Medicine) and a searchable list of their members can be found here: www.asam.org/MemberDirectorytest.cfm

Another group is known as AAAP (American Academy of Addiction Psychiatry) and access to referrals can be found here: http://www.aaap.org/patient-referral-program

Finally, there is a national database of mental health treatment and substance abuse treatment that can be found here (I suggest you limit your search to places that treat both mental illness and addiction): http://findtreatment.samhsa.gov/

It is important to ask the treatment center if they offer disulfiram, naltrexone, acamprosate, naltrexone-injectable, topiramate, and other science-based treatments for alcoholism.

Good luck to you. If you would like to discuss offline, please write back and let me know.

Go to the Addiction and Substance Abuse health topic, where you can:

Christina M Delos Reyes, MD Christina M Delos Reyes, MD
Assistant Professor of Psychiatry