Crowns, Bridges, Dentures, Implants

Dental Implants & RA, Osteoporosis

10/06/2009

Question:

I'm currently taking Fosamax (taken sporadically for 4 years) & several other medications (Humira, Voltaren, Arava) for Rheumatoid Arthritis, as well as folic acid, vitamin D, & iron supplements. With all the articles related to Fosamax & dental extractions or implants, I’m concerned if I’m a candidate for extensive dental implants.

Could you provide me with your suggestions on what I should do to determine if I can have dental implants? I stopped taking Fosamax for over 1 year & just restarted taking it the last 2 months. I’d like to start the implants this December.

Answer:

You are correct that a slight risk for some exposed or necrotic bone in the mouth after extractions or implant placement has been linked to patients taking Bisphosphonate drugs, of which Fosamax is one.

However, the primary risk seems to be in patients taking IV bisphosphonates for breast cancer or similar problems. The risk to patients taking oral Fosamax is very small, but one you should be aware of.

Discussing your implant surgery with an Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon would be my best advice. They are the best trained experts to evaluate your individual situation.

Go to the Crowns, Bridges, Dentures, Implants health topic, where you can:

Ed A McGlumphy, DDS, MS Ed A McGlumphy, DDS, MS
Professor of Restorative/Prosthetic Dentistry