Head and Neck Cancer

Small, Sore Bump on Head

01/20/2010

Question:

I have been ill for 3 weeks with a virus. Have had a bad cough and diagnosed with bronchitis last week. In the past few days I have developed a very sore bump about the size of a dime,on the back of my head halfway between the spinal column and the left ear, about ear height. The lump is very sore to the touch, even laying my head on a pillow, it`s sore. I have been on antibiotics for 13 days for the bronchitis and wondering if this tender lump could be a gland or something related to the virus I cannot shake.

Answer:

Thank you for visiting NetWellness. Any neck mass present for more than 2 weeks is considered abnormal and should be evaluated. You need a good head and neck evaluation, possibly a scan, and maybe even a biopsy. Make sure you see your physician.

Go to the Head and Neck Cancer health topic, where you can:

Cheryl  Koliha-Brandt, MSN, RN, CNS, CORLN Cheryl Koliha-Brandt, MSN, RN, CNS, CORLN
Clinical Nurse Specialist and Instructor of
Head and Neck Surgery and Oncology 
Frances Payne Bolton School of Nursing