Since 1995 - Non Profit Healthcare Advice

Cheek Area



Recently, I noticed a fluid-filled sac located in my inner cheek. The area feels a bit tender to the touch, and I noticed a small amount of dark blood inside the sac. What could this be due to? How do I go about cleaning the area?


This could be a mucocele or a bruise (“blood blister”), either of which could be caused by injury (biting the area; sharp piece of food). Both of these are harmless and don’t require any special precautions related to cleaning. If it is a mucocele, then it often will fill up, break open and drain, heal over, and repeat the process until it is removed surgically.

If the problem lasts for more than 2 weeks, you should see an oral pathologist for evaluation.

For more information please refer to the NetWellness article on the condition Mucocele.

For more information:

Go to the Dental and Oral Health (Children) health topic.