Dental and Oral Health (Seniors)

Extract or repair

I am 68 yrs old, in good health and have every tooth aside from my wisdom teeth. I am looking at a $2150 root canal and crown repair on that tooth because it is cracked and on biting, very painful. Should I Pony up that large amt of money and have the repair done? How important is that upper rear molar to my well being and the integrity of my jaw?

Which tooth needs the root canal? If is the last molar you will be ok if just extracted. Usually when a tooth is cracked and is very painful on biting is because there is a fracture on it, and if is a deep fracture the tooth need to be removed. Your chewing capability will decrease 5% aprox. If is the first molar will be better to try to saved, or if need to be removed you will need to replace it with an implant or a fixed bridge. If not you will have a bite problems in the future.

Go to the Dental and Oral Health (Seniors) health topic, where you can:

Alfredo  Hernandez, DDS, MS Alfredo Hernandez, DDS, MS
Assistant Professor of Comprehensive Care
School of Dental Medicine