Athletic Training

Bump on Patella Causes Pain When Kneeling

03/25/2011

Question:

I have a hard bump on the top of my patella. It generally doesn`t hurt when I run or walk, but aches a little when doing lunges or squats. However, when I kneel down on it or when I have to fully bent and touch the bump it causes sharp pain. This may be unrelated, but 2.5 months ago I had a hard kick, during soccer, to the medial side of my knee and there was a large bruise/swelling was extensive. I have a bump on the side similar to scar tissue after that injury. Doc said it was a bone contusion. No fracture in the patella, femur, tibia, or fibula. I am just wondering what the bump could be and how to fix the problem.

Answer:

The hard kick may be related to the bump you now have if the kick was in the same area. You don't mention your age, but it is not that uncommon from adolescents to have bony protuberance and the bottom of their patella at the quadriceps attachment on the tibia during growth spurts which are also painful to kneel on. Without seeing and knowing how this growth has progressed, I would recommend a follow to your physician to evaluate the source of this growth. I would also limit activities that cause pain in the area in case the source is inflammatory in nature. Good Luck!

Go to the Athletic Training health topic, where you can:

Janine   Oman, MS, PT/ATC Janine Oman, MS, PT/ATC
Assistant Athletic Director
Instructor at the School of Health and Rehabilitation Sciences