Athletic Training

Walking

05/31/2011

Question:

I have inflammatory arthritis of the spine plus RA. I always did a fear bit of walking. This past winter I had the flu and bronchitis twice so I couldn`t walk as much as I did. Now I am ok I am doing alot more walking. I learned from before to start out slow and build my way up again. Which I have been doing. But my lower back feels like it is always tired. Not paining but tired even if I am not walking. It doesn`t go away even if I lye down, sit, stand or walk.I don`t see my PT for another week. Could this be a sign that I am doing to much and to slow down on my walking?

Answer:

Your back pain may be associated with your decreased activity as a result of your illnesses.  If this a new type of pain that you have not experienced before with your walking or if the pain is not relieved with rest, I would recommend decreasing your walking and following up with your local health care provider for more evaluation as to the source of your symptoms.
Good Luck!

Go to the Athletic Training health topic, where you can:

Janine   Oman, MS, PT/ATC Janine Oman, MS, PT/ATC
Assistant Athletic Director
Instructor at the School of Health and Rehabilitation Sciences