Dental and Oral Health (Children)

Supernumery tooth between front teeth

01/12/2007

Question:

My 8 yr old daughter lost her two front teeth and they were not coming in. We just went to the dentist and discovered a mesioden in between the two front teeth. In the x-ray I could see that one front tooth is straight and the other is completely turned side ways. My qustion is: Once they remove the supernumery tooth, what can they do for the tooth that is sideways? Thank you

Answer:

The key to your daughter's treatment now is team-approach management style. This may include a pediatric dentist, orthodontist (braces), and oral and maxillofacial surgeon. The dentist who is managing her overall care, typically either a pediatric or general dentist, will be a great resource in terms of timing of treatments and referrals.

The good news is that the mesioden has been diagnosed and hopefully will soon be taken care of surgically. Hopefully this answers your concern. Thank you.

Go to the Dental and Oral Health (Children) health topic, where you can:

Sarath  Thikkurissy, DDS, MS Sarath Thikkurissy, DDS, MS
Associate Professor of Pediatric Dentistry