Henoch Schonlein Purpura

Hi I was diagnosed with Henoch Schonlein Purpura in 1990 and was on steroids for four years. I have since been discharged by the hospital. I had to have a medical exam for a visa and the results show that I have abnormal blood counts: mcv 101 and mch 33.3 serum b12 948 and serum folate normal. I also have abnormal creatinie/microalbumim of alb/cr ratio 12.5. I have no idea of what any of this means and everything else including renal function appears normal. But could this just to be due to the virus leaving damage as I did have it in my kidneys. Thanks for your time.

You certainly could have had some renal scarring which now is reflected in your urine. Your MCV of 101 cannot be explained by your residual renal scarring. I would check with your doctor for a more complete explanation as the data base you provided is not complete.

Thomas   Zipp, MD Thomas Zipp, MD
Assistant Professor of Medicine