Cuboid Bone Bruise

05/13/2011

Question:

My son hurt his foot in February. I took him for an x-ray that showed nothing broken. We are now in May and he is having severe pain still in the back of his foot by the Achilles. Took him for a MRI which showed a Cuboid Bone Bruise and mild scattered hemopoietic red marrow. What does this mean and why is he still having severe pain?? What is done to correct this?

Answer:

Depending on your son's age, "mild scattered hemopoietic red marrow" may or may not be an appropriate or expected finding in the foot; this should be discussed with your son's physician, considered in light of any blood tests your son may have undergone, and if necessary, possible referral to a hematologist.

A cuboid bone bruise could still cause some pain 3 months later, but since you've noted his pain is severe, his pain could be due to something else - for example, a condition called complex regional pain syndrome which is a diagnosis based on findings from his physical examination along with other diagnostic studies. 

Again, you are advised to discuss with your son's physician why his pain remains severe 3 months later and what can be done about it. If necessary, consultation with a sports medicine physician may be helpful.

Brian L Bowyer, MD Brian L Bowyer, MD
Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation