Shopping List on a Tight Budget!
It all starts with shopping! See the choices below for ideas of things to put in your cart. And some ideas of how to find what you want and save.
- Frozen chicken breasts
- Frozen un-breaded fish fillets
- Canned tuna in water
- Dried beans or canned beans
- Ground lean beef or lean turkey
Fresh or frozen veggies
- green beans
- Plain brown rice
- Whole wheat pasta or hybrid
- Pasta sauce
- Salad greens
- In-season fruits
- Frozen fruit – no added sugar
- Plain or vanilla light yogurt – 2% milk fat
- Get a large block and cut at home.
- Cut into sticks at home.
- Canned fruit in own juice, NOT syrup
- Plain oatmeal -add fresh fruit or jelly
- Whole wheat pancake/waffle mix
- Wheat cereal – no added sugar
- Whole wheat bread
- Low fat or skim milk
- Light margarine with zero trans-fats
- Store-brand canola and/or olive oils
Compare and Save!
|Food Items||Compare the Costs|
Frozen store brand chickern beast
Brand name chicken breasts
$3.69 for 6 pieces
$5.49 for 3 pieces
$.79 for 1 pound of dried or $.50 for 1 can
$3.89 for 1 pound
$1.75/ for 3-4 servings
$3.49/ for 3 servings
Plain Brown Rice
Pre-Packaged Rice Mix w/Sauce
$2.19/ for 19 servings
$1.50/ for 1 ½ servings
Frozen Fruit, such as berries
$2.89/ for 4 servings
$3.89/ for 1 bag
Light store brand vanilla yogurt
$1.59/ for 3 ½ servings
$5.29/ for 16 half-cup servings
$2.50/ for 30 servings
$3.79/ for 10 packages
Store brand wheat cereal
Specialty “kids” cereal
$2.69 for 1 box
$5.99 for 1 box
This guide was originally developed for hard copy distribution by pediatric experts at UH Rainbow Babies & Children’s Hospital & colleagues in the Ohio Children’s Hospital Association with a grant from the Ohio Department of Health.
This children’s health content is brought to you with support from University Hospitals Rainbow Babies & Children’s Hospital.
For more information:
Go to the Kids’ Healthy Weight health topic.