Diet and Nutrition

Steaming vegetables in the microwave

To steam vegetables for my family, I usually use the microwave as a short cut. I wrap the vegetables in wet paper towel, and microwave for a very short period of time, depending on the portion size. They are still quite crisp and colorful when they are done. I read a small bit in a magazine, though, that said that microwaving vegetables reduces their nutritious value significantly - by something like 90%! Is that true, even if the vegetables are still crisp? I like saving time on boiling water and washing pots, but still want the vegetables to be nutritious!

Thanks for your question. I applaud you for continuing to cook nutritious meals for your family (despite our time-crunched world). Many people would opt to go through a fast food drive through than cook!

On to your question. There was a study in the November issue of the Journal of the Science of Food and Agriculture that indicated that microwaving could cause large nutrient losses in vegetables. However, the researchers used 2/3 cup of water and cooked the foods on full power for 5 minutes in the microwave. The best method to maintain nutrients was steaming in a small amount of water for ~ 3-4 minutes. I have attached a review of the article from WebMD. To maintain the most nutrients in food, it`s best to use the least amount of water and the smallest amount of heat and cooking time possible. Personally, if it`s between using your method or not cooking vegetables because of time, your method sounds perfectly fine and should maintain a good deal of nutrients in the foods you cook. Click on the link below for the WebMD article.

Hot Water Kills Broccoli's Benefits

Go to the Diet and Nutrition health topic, where you can:

Lisa Cicciarello Andrews, MEd, RD, LD Lisa Cicciarello Andrews, MEd, RD, LD
Adjunct Faculty