Home HealthTopics Health Centers Reference Library Research
Join us on Facebook Join us on Facebook Share on Facebook

Vascular Surgery

Can an Enlarged Blood Vessel Cause Foot Pain?



Can vascular issues cause chronic foot pain? I have great discomfort just below my calf and it seems to radiate sharp pain into my foot when I attempt to massage it. Any suggestions? Who should I be seeing for this excluding a podiatrist? Thank you!


I would recommend an evaluation first by your primary care doctor. Vascular studies can be obtained if they feel it could be a vascular issue. Typically, vascular pain is not elicited when just rubbing an area. 

For more information:

Go to the Vascular Surgery health topic, where you can:

Response by:

Jean  E Starr, MD Jean E Starr, MD
Clinical Associate Professor of Vascular Surgery
College of Medicine
The Ohio State University